<< Portico: Hearts of Iron II 1.3

11/12/2005

Hearts of Iron II 1.3

Paradox has just announced the third patch for their hit WWII grand strategy game Hearts of Iron 2. They persist in calling these things "enhancements" instead of patches, which makes my skin crawl, but once again the Swedish masters continue to support some of their games well after release. (Victoria seems to have fallen by the wayside.)

The patch has dozens of little tweaks. I'm not sure the game needed more minister portraits, but it looks like the AI has gotten seriously examined in many setups. There are even some new events and triggers.

Will it be enough to persuade me to reinstall HoI2? Maybe.

The HoI games have never had the appeal to me that their other games have. As intriguing a period as the Second World War is, the grand strategy portion of the game is constricted by the time frame and the limits of the historical setup. Where even the mostly confounding Victoria feels like an historical playground, Hearts of Iron feels like the same game every time you play it - never a good idea for a genre where replayability equals reputation.

But it has been a long time since I've played Hearts of Iron II. There are enough changes in this patch to make me curious as to how it all turns out. And I've never played as Canada, and I should just to keep my Canuck cred. So I'll probably give it a spin sometime over Thanksgiving.

Meanwhile, Crusader Kings is still stuck at 1.04a even though the new official patch was promised for the fall. And that's a game I know I like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home