<< Portico: October CGM and Hot Coffee

8/28/2005

October CGM and Hot Coffee

You can find my interview with Doug Lowenstein, the President of the Entertainment Software Association, in October's Computer Games Magazine. The interview itself ranged over a few topics, but the edited version in the magazine focuses on Mr. Lowenstein's reactions to the "Hot Coffee" controversy and the possible industry response to it. The interview is in a sidebar to Steve Bauman's thorough summary of the "crisis" and the issues it raises for game developers and gamers.

This is, by the way, my first non-review contribution to the magazine.

I haven't discussed the Hot Coffee episode here at Portico, mostly because I had nothing to say that hadn't already been said by a few thousand other people in a few thousand other places. I found the reactions from all sides to be a little overblown and think that a lot of the doomsayers predicting the decline of mod-friendly gaming are a little overexcited. It's really too soon to know what the fallout from Hot Coffee will be. I doubt it will be very severe.

(This month's CGM also has Bruce Geryk's review of Crown of Glory. He gives it 3 stars and echoes some of my concerns about the game. 3/5 is an "above average" score at CGM, and is a little higher than I would have given it. The text of the review is spot on, though.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home