<< Portico: Not all glamor and groupies

12/31/2004

Not all glamor and groupies

So I have three games left to review (two for DIYGames and one for Computer Games Magazine) and I am kind of putting off finishing them. Not for any legit reason. I've given one of them a really serious play through, so I'm ready to finish the review soon. One I've begun playing, but not very enthusiastically. The third I am having trouble motivating myself for, even though it is actuallly an exciting game, supposedly.

I guess what I am trying to say is that game reviewing is not all glamor, bells and whistles. Sometimes it can feel like a chore when you have to notice all the minutiae about the game you are playing and remember to take screenshots along the way. There's not a lot of revelling in the cool factor since if anything really cool comes along you have to find a way to capture the coolness in a sentence or two.

Don't get me wrong. I love doing it, still. I mean, I've only been doing it for a few years. And for money only in the last year. Nothing beats seeing your name in print (I've written for four websites all told and one magazine) and that first paycheck for my Victoria review in CGM was sweet validation that I may have something worth saying.

Still, there are those times when reviewing feels more like work than play. Not that I have any intention of stopping. After all, even this blog will sort of review-ish only with no real deadlines on any material (qv my comments on Imperialism 2). But with so much on my plate at the moment - my own fault, I know - it's hard to keep going.

Ah well, back to the grind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home